Dr. Brian C. Reuben
7001 South 900 East #100
Midvale, UT 84047
Phone: (801) 937-9650
Salt Lake Clinic
389 S 900 E.
Salt Lake City, UT 84102
Phone: (385) 282-2900
8th Ave C St
Salt Lake City, UT 84143
Phone: (801) 408-1100
Have you ever wondered why countless crunches and healthy eating have not resulted in the flat stomach you deserve? You’re not alone. Many women and men – particularly after significant weight loss or pregnancies – have stubborn fat, loose, lax skin and a protruding abdomen that do not respond to diet and exercise. Double board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Brian C. Reuben has years of experience and training in body contouring procedures. He performs abdominoplasty, often called a tummy tuck, in Midvale, Utah, to help people from Salt Lake City and surrounding cities improve their physical appearance and emotional wellbeing.
To find out if a tummy tuck can give you the look you envision for yourself, request a consultation online or call our office at (801) 937-9650. Dr. Reuben and his staff are eager to meet you and help you on your aesthetic journey.
Tummy Tuck Candidates
People come to our practice for tummy tucks from nearby cities such as South and West Jordan, Murray, and Sandy, UT, because they want to improve the appearance of the mid to lower area of the abdomen. They consider this area a “trouble spot” and desire a flat, toned midsection that reflects their health and wellness. Typically, our tummy tuck patients have:
- Loose or hanging skin around the midsection
- Pockets or rolls of fat near the abdomen
- The desire for a slim waistline
- Lax abdominal muscles
A tummy tuck can address many concerns regarding the midsection, although it is not a replacement for weight loss or leading a healthy lifestyle. To determine whether you are a candidate for the procedure, Dr. Reuben must meet with you for a personal consultation to discuss your goals and assess your overall health. If you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck or other surgery after weight loss, you can discuss and create a surgical plan that is tailored just for you. A tummy tuck is often performed as part of a mommy makeover procedure to help women renew their bodies after pregnancy.
Types of Tummy Tucks
Dr. Reuben will customize your procedure to your cosmetic concerns after a thorough evaluation. Your procedure will include one of the following surgical techniques:
- Traditional tummy tuck: This procedure uses an incision that runs beneath the underwear line from hip to hip. This is the most common approach, as it gives Dr. Reuben plenty of access to both tighten excess skin and repair stretched abdominal muscles. The belly button is repositioned after skin is removed.
- Mini tummy tuck: This version of abdominoplasty uses a shorter incision than the traditional approach. It usually does not involve the belly button and may or may not include repairing the abdominal muscles. It is appropriate for patients who have less drooping abdominal skin.
- Extended tummy tuck: This technique lies on the other end of the spectrum, as it is appropriate for patients who have an extensive amount of loose skin not just on the abdomen, but also on the hips and flanks. Patients who get extended tummy tucks have typically lost a massive amount of weight. In this surgery, the incision extends beyond the hips to the lower back. Skin is removed, abdominal muscles are repaired, and the belly button is repositioned. Liposuction is also commonly paired with this option.
- Belt lipectomy/ lower body lift: This approach uses a 360-degree incision for contouring the entire trunk after massive weight loss. It’s ideal for patients with excess skin circumferentially who are looking to contour the entire trunk 360 degrees around.
Although each patient’s surgery tends to fit into one of these general categories, every procedure is unique. Dr. Reuben will tailor your surgery to your precise needs.
The Dr. Reuben Difference
There is not “one size fits all” when it comes to body contouring”
To begin your tummy tuck procedure at one of our surgical facilities, Dr. Reuben will remove any excess skin and tissue from the midsection by either using a short scar or a long scar, depending on how much contouring you need. At this time, the abdominal muscles are tightened. Then, after this is performed, Dr. Reuben will assess whether or not you may benefit from additional contouring with liposuction in the surrounding area. Once Dr. Reuben has finished reshaping the targeted area, he will close your incisions.
What to Expect After Your Tummy Tuck
One of the first things patients inquire about once they have made the decision to undergo a tummy tuck is the recovery process. You may be wondering, “What will my recovery be like?” or “Can I afford to take some time off?”
In general, recovery from a tummy tuck procedure is relatively straightforward. Once you are sent home after surgery, you will use a compression garment to wear to help your midsection hold its new shape. You will have surgical drains to release excess fluid from the surgical area, and these need to be managed for a few days until they are removed. It is a good idea to have someone to help you for a few days after your procedure.
While experiences vary, most patients can resume normal, light activities in about 1 to 2 weeks. After about 3 to 4 weeks, most patients can start to exercise again.Back to Top